Saturday, October 3, 2009

Something New

I decided to try something new today. I recently purchased a large, new, shinny pressure cooker/canner. It has been sitting on my shelf intimidating me all summer. I don't know why, but the idea that it has the potential to explode makes me a bit nervous. Because of this, I have put off trying it out... until today. I don't do a lot of canning. A little applesauce now and then, but nothing like my Mom and Sister. Come to think of it, my brothers probably do more canning than I do. I really have to psyche myself up to do much more than jam. It intimidates me and zaps my energy. My canning buddy, Cassi, and I usually get together and talk each other into doing something. Just recently we went big and did pears AND pear sauce. Not much for some, but a big deal for me. To initiate myself with the pressure canner, I followed my sister-in-law Jenny's recipe for Beef and Barley Soup. In the end, it wasn't too bad. Nothing exploded and I think the soup actually looks tasty. I can't wait to pull it out and heat it up one cold evening this winter. Here's what I did: Step one (day before): Crock pot two beef roasts for 10 hrs. Step two: Make broth from crock pot drippings Step three: Cut vegetables, layer in jars and cover with broth
Step four: Pressure can
Viola - 75 minutes later (plus some cool down time) I have homemade Beef & Barley Soup. What next? Maybe Chicken Vegetable or Minestrone? I still have lots of garden vegetables that need a good place to call home.

2 comments:

Jeanne and Nelson said...

That looks tasty, I've never tried soup, I did turkey for the first time last year and was surprised at how good it is.

Molly said...

Brilliant work! Beef & Barley Soup on a chilly winter night sounds mighty fine to me. I'm impressed. You conquered the pressure cooker, you go girl!!!