Sunday, July 31, 2011

Feline Funeral

Today we mourn the passing of our dear cat, Sophie.  She was ill and uncomfortable and it wasn't something the vet could fix, so we laid her to rest at the farm.  Kirk took care of the dirty work and the girls and I showed up just in time to put her in the ground.  The girls decorated a box for her and we lowered her into a hole in the pasture.  Each girl said what they loved about her and then threw flowers followed by a few shovel fulls of dirt.
It was so interesting to see that each girl had a different reaction to her departure.  It really varied by personality and age...
Hannah - Tears, fond memories, sadness.
Paige - I will miss her, now let's move on.
Maren - Can I help put her to sleep?  How will you do that?  What happens when we put dirt over the box?  Let's fill up the hole.  Won't throwing dirt on her box be uncomfortable for her?  Let's plant a tree here. 
Izzy - Goodbye Sophie, I liked to hold you.  And I know you liked me too.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Sorry for Sophie and for you. <3
Sounds like a sweet funeral with flowers and sentiments.
I love how kids in the same family can be so different. It keeps life interesting!

Annalea said...

Sophie really was such a sweet kitty. I'm sad that she's no longer here, but glad that she had such a good home with your family for the last part of her life.

Growing up on the farm, putting ill animals to sleep meant a dose of high-velocity lead (instant, but has its drawbacks). I'm guessing that Kirk went the sedative route . . . which is much nicer.

I loved your girls' reactions . . . so very age appropriate, and so really like each of them. :o)