Thursday, June 14, 2012

Thrift Store Finds

Now that the farmhouse is looking more like a house and less like a storage shed, I have been thinking about how I want to furnish it.  This is the fun part for me.  I don't have a huge budget but it needs to be something functional and fun.  So I have been keeping my eye out.  Here are a few pieces that I've found so far...


This chair came from a local used furniture guy named Basil (yes, we are on a first name basis now) who has a hodgepodge of furniture in a re-purposed house that I just happen to pass each time I go to Wal Mart, church, Home Depot or Kirk's office (and those places cover about 80% of my travel in Sandpoint).  He puts new stuff outside his store about once a week and usually something catches my eye.  I actually found this chair when I went in to pay for the desk below.  I loved the shape and the great carved feet.  I got a great deal for purchasing them together.

Maybe I'll have my talented friend Cassi make a slipcover for it.  She started a slipcover business - Piping and Pleats - and has lots of great ideas.  Maybe a fun slipcover like these chairs have.  Don't they just make you happy? I love the knife pleating at the bottom and the sunny print.



I also bought this desk from Basil.  It isn't for the farmhouse, but for Hannah and Paige's room.  They are getting old enough that they need a place to study away from the commotion of the kitchen.  It fits just right in the dormer of their room with a window above the desk looking out over the front yard. I wanted something with a little style.


Also, I loved the hardware.


I didn't care that the finish wasn't in great condition because I wanted something I wouldn't feel bad painting.  Because I want to do something like this...


Maybe green, maybe red, maybe orange.  Who knows what pre-teen girls will like?


Also from Basil came this fun bench.  I drove by and saw it out front and knew it was destined to sit on the porch of the farmhouse.  But I couldn't buy it right away.  So I watched it.  Every day.  For about two weeks.  When I finally was able to stop in, he had marked it down.  Perfect.



I'm going to paint it a fun new color.  Maybe yellow, maybe charcoal gray, how about green?  What color does it want to be as it sits on the porch of a little red farmhouse, do you think?

Next, I need to take some pictures of the great dresser I found in Spokane while thrift store shopping with Cassi.

4 comments:

Kelli Campbell said...

Looks like some fun items! I think yellow would be great for the bench with the red farmhouse.

Dawn said...

Great finds! I wish I was in Sandpoint so we could have a painting and project party. I have a few items I have been meaning to paint. I wish I could somehow get my items up to Cassi. I'm excited for your farm house to be finished.

Karie said...

The furniture will look great. I can't wait to see it after being painted.

Cassi said...

Hey, when did you get fun places to buy furniture in Sandpoing?! OK, my wheels are turning . . . .