Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Food Storage Challenge

I have given myself a little challenge. For the next few months I am going to prepare one evening meal per week with only food storage items. I’m great at using food storage for breakfast, but I don’t have too many dinner recipes in my repertoire that come only from food storage. And who can eat pancakes and oatmeal everyday? Well, maybe Kirk. But not the rest of our family.

I feel a need to build up the number of recipes that I enjoy making, we like eating, and come mainly from food storage and pantry items. I am asking for your help. If any of you out there reading this have some favorite recipes that you could share, please email or call me with them. PLEASE! My only requirement is that the meal must be something (1) made mainly from food storage items & must be a food that (2) your family likes to eat on a regular basis.

Here is one that I do make often. It came from my great sister-in-law, Molly. I hope you like it!

Black Bean Stew

1 onion (you can use dehydrated onion)

3 cloves garlic

1/8 tsp. red pepper

½ tsp. cumin

½ tsp. thyme

2 cans chicken broth

1 large can green chilies

14 oz. can stewed tomatoes

3 cans black beans (I use my dried beans and cook them the day before)

Sauté onion, garlic, and pepper. Add herbs, broth, beans and simmer for 1 ½ hours. Remove half of the stew and blend until smooth. Return to pan and heat till warm. Serve over rice with lemon, cilantro and sour cream.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I can eat only pancakes every day! Kirk is throwing in some good variety with the oatmeal.

Keith

Kirsten said...

Kirk's reply:
'When I really want to stir things up, I add raisins to my oatmeal!'

Anonymous said...

Hey Kirsten - here is a link to our old wards blog: 2ndwardfoodstoragefun.blogspot.com
If I were computer savy it would be a direct link and you wouldn't have to cut and paste it. Don't forget to highlight the 2 up there on the first line. The blog is done by a lady in our ward who is pretty much the perfect "mormon mom" so there may be some good recipes there. My mom tried out the black bean recipe you have. It was very good! -Kelli

Kirsten said...

Thanks Kelli. I'll check it out.

Molly said...

Black Bean Stew is a staple in our house! I'm glad you love it too.
Nice work, with your food storage challenge. I am inspired.