Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spring Skiing

Yesterday was a rare and beautiful day of spring skiing.  We had blue skies, new snow and warmer temperatures.  I headed up to Schweitzer with the older girls while Izzy and Kirk stayed home.  Izzy claimed that 'I hate skiing'.  Which isn't true (she's usually the one most eager to go), but only proves that the terrible wonderful three's have begun in our house. 


It was such a nice day that I continued an old Johnson tradition.  We grabbed our lunch backpack and headed over the river and through the woods (actually up the T-bar) to eat lunch in the sunshine at the top of Recess.  When I was a kid this was a favorite thing to do with my family.  I remember many sack lunches eaten on top of Gentle Ben with my Dad, Mom and siblings. 

Here's some spring powder skiing from Maren & Hannah:


Paige is our speed skier and usually the first one down.


The girls can go just about anywhere on the mountain now, which is great and gives us lots of options for exploring.  The t-bar accesses a whole slope of black diamond runs which usually has some good stashes of powder.  We skied powder, crud and groomers. 
It was a fun day.

1 comment:

Molly said...

I've had a great time catching up on your blog tonight.
*The home videos of the girls skiing is precious, loved the dialogue!
*I swear I could smell your bread through my screen. Mmmmmm.
*Music Video comeback! I want her hair.
*Your new doorknobs are turnin' heads. My head has been officially turned. Oil rubbed bronze, very 2011 and very cool!
*Hannah's postal service is about the greatest thing I've ever seen. I would like to live on Lilac Lane too!
OK, this has morphed into an email. I'm sorry. Miss you!