Thursday, March 24, 2011

Updates... Lighting

Dining Room

The updating continues at our house.  I have always hated the light above our dining room table.  There was one time, 5 or 6 years ago, when it stopped working and I though 'I can finally get rid of this thing and Kirk will have to relent and agree to replace it'.  Not so. Robert, our electrician friend, was able to fix it.  Bummer. So, I've been stuck with this one ever since. I haven't been able to spend the money to replace it - there is always something more important in our budget.


The girls love this light.  In fact, when I went to replace it this week, they begged me to keep the old one.  No chance.  To console them, I boxed up the old light and promised to give it to whichever girl gets married first.  They excitedly agreed.  I wonder if they will be so excited about it when they open it on their wedding day??

Anyway... back to the updates.  While walking the lighting aisle at Home Depot, I came across this beauty (actually Kirk spotted it first).  It was on sale for a cheap $39 (down from $220).  Everyone must have noticed that lovely gold running down the center and overlooked it.  I only noticed the nice shape.  Over on the painting aisle, I picked up a can of Rust-Oleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint and Voila... a new light.  And all for under $50.

+ (plus)

= (equals)



Hallways

Before:
The original gold bubble light adorned our hallways and laundry room.


After:
I purchased these lights in a 2-pack for $31.47 (that's roughly $16 a piece) from Lowe's. 


I looked and looked, but couldn't find anything in the oil rubbed bronze finish I was looking for.  So, I used the rest of my oil rubbed bronze spray paint from my dining room light and VOILA...



Bathrooms


I am still wondering why we have lived in this house for 8 years with these bathroom vanity lights.  None of the girls asked for these on their wedding day.  I couldn't wait to pull them down and pack them away for Goodwill.



Thanks to a very handy husband, we now have these lovely lights in our bathrooms...

3 comments:

italiamarie said...

cute house!

Rosemary Davidson said...

you are very talented!

Kayla Whittle said...

Looking good! How much longer will you be in that house?