Sunday, April 22, 2012

Chicken Coop Plans

I have been searching for the perfect chicken coop for our new chicks.  Kirk has promised to build it for me if I can figure out what I want.  During my search I have discovered that you can make a chicken coop look just about any way you want.  Here is a little sampler of what I have found:

My brother sent me this little retro gem.  Apparently it's made from all recycled material.  I have PLENTY of old barn wood on the farm.  It's an idea.


Or if I were to lean toward the modern, I could go for this sleek design:



This design from Heather Bullard is still one of my favorites.  In fact, I just ordered her plans.  We'll see what my contractor (a.k.a. Kirk) has to say about it.


Forget traditional, how about an Eglu cube from Omlet.  Don't you love the name of the company? 

My brother-in-law sent me this more more traditional design, named the Chicken Shack.  I love it. 


But for a real chicken shack, maybe we should turn the old outhouse from the farm into a coop.  Don't they call that repurposing?



For the discerning chicken, I could go with this design beauty - The Nogg.  On second thought, I'm learning that chickens aren't all that bright.  They probably wouldn't appreciate it.



From The Art of Doing Stuff I found this stylish, yet practical coop:


Which one is your favorite?  Do you have a great design to recommend?  I'll give you some eggs if you help me decide!

4 comments:

Annalea said...

I have long loved Heather Bullard's design, so that's my vote. I have to say, though, that the black chickens with the ultra-modern coop is a nice touch. ;o) Made me chuckle!

Taeya said...

I think that if you get the sleek one, you will need to get a tattoo (maybe I have been in Austin too long...) In lieu of that, I vote for the last one!

Cassi said...

Heather Bullard has always been my favorite, but I'm diggin the last one. So, I'm with Taeya.

Mike said...

I think your favorite is classy and would fit your house. Send my encouragement to the contractor.