Thursday, December 17, 2009

WAX ON, WAX OFF

Growing up as a Johnson, there was something that we could always count on during the winter... SKIING ON SATURDAY. My father spent many, many years on various volunteer ski patrols. I think he did this for many reasons. First, because he loved skiing. But it was also a way to fiance skiing for a family of eight.
I have many great memories of skiing (it being my favorite sport). But one that came to mind last night was a memory of wintry Friday nights spent with my Dad, in a cold garage, tuning and waxing skis. Our local ski resort, Schweitzer Mountain, has been open for skiing since Thanksgiving weekend. But since Kirk and I prefer to ski on snow rather than tree stumps, we opted to wait for a few more storms. Today was our first day on the mountain. In preparation, we dug out the ski wax, iron, file and edge tuner. I am not as diligent as my father, but I do enjoy a good tune and wax now and then. Especially in preparation for the first day of the season.
Thanks Dad for all you taught me and for all of the time you invested in our skiing. It has been a great source of enjoyment in my life. I love sharing skiing with my kids. Tomorrow is their first day of the season.
**Thanks, Dad, for supplying our family photos on CD. I love to have them available. Kudos to Kirk for the new photos. He's getting pretty good, isn't he?

No comments: