Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Book Club

Here is my favorite read of 2009...

And here is the book club where I get to share my favorite reads (thanks to Jeanne for the photo)...

We are having our first annual (hopefully to be repeated) January Best Reads & Fondue party. As you can see, it's a great looking and, more importantly, incredibly intelligent, witty and well read group of friends. We have been meeting for four years now and we have developed a sort of free form book club. We occasionally have a monthly theme, but we never choose just one book to read. Everyone comes ready to discuss their read from the previous month and hear about everyone else's. Sometimes we even get talked into trying something out of our comfort zone (that would be non-fiction for me). After we get our book discussion out of the way we save plenty of time to discuss recent weddings, ask 'why is my child doing this' questions, and laugh about current events. What started out as an enrichment activity has developed into a great group of women who look forward to meeting and talking every month.

Oh yeah... my favorite read this past year was The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsglover. The story was narrated by the wife and four daughters (sound familiar?) of a Baptist minister (not so familiar) that takes his family to The Congo for a year long mission. Their lives, relationships and views of the world are forever changed. It broadened my horizons and gave me a lot to think about. The writing was witty and clever. I listened to most of the book on audio CD and highly recommend it as it helps the characters to really come alive. If you are interested in a good read, try it and enjoy!

No comments: